Monday 8 November 2010

End of First Year


As I have now started my second year, I thought I should finish off the blogs from last year and show what I did for my final piece. My last brief was based on Protrait and Identity, and I was primarily looking at the idea of subtlety in faces, and not necessarily at first glance identifying a face in an image. Because of this, I was looking at the work of Francis Bacon, and taking the abstraction of faces from his work.

To begin with I drew some of his paintings in my own style of drawing, and from these I decided to try and incorporate the spontaneous mark-making I had created.

To do this I decided to create layered pieces which included a multiple of techniques such as sandblasting, engraving and UV Bonding, as well as screen printing (look at previous blog!).

These are the results-




This is how I arranged my pieces to be exhibited.

I had also done 3 layered pieces with White Opal Flash Glass (clear glass with a thin layer of white glass on the surface which can be sandblasted through to create interesting effects). These were done solely with sandblasing and engraving, and I really liked these until I added the coloured glass panels at the back.

I did this because these were some of the colours Bacon had used in his paintings. However now I think it takes away from the simplicity of the clear and flash glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment